21 Dec 2012

citrus








Tender tummies and the stifling heat have kept us close to the nest the last little while. Slow, gentle days bathing in cool water and each other's company. Festive crafts such as my great grandmother would have made adorning tabletop, tree and windowsill. Making do with whatever snippet of something we have about our home; whatever sparks our imagination and yearns to be transformed.

Thin slices of citrus in a low oven. Time and a mellow heat cajole every last drop of acidic juice from their flesh. Their beauty somehow suspended in time; almost magnified. Jute twine and fingers that seemed like only yesterday grasped at my hair as she fed in the wee hours. Simple, rhythmic tasks to still my erratic mind.

Taking time to try to make sense of the unfathomable heartbreak bearing down upon our world at the moment. Clinging so desperately to the brilliance of this awe inspiring planet. Steadfastly refusing to abandon hope in her magnificent people.

Breathing in all that is this breathtaking journey of parenthood in all it's messy, heartbreaking, soul defining and oh so very beautiful glory. Finding peace. Being so very grateful.

Steph x





10 comments:

  1. Hi Steph..I think that bug is doing the rounds. My brother is a teacher and caught it the last day of school, he was going to come up and see me today and couldn't at the last minute as he was still suffering. The scent of citrus must have been wonderful at your house today..so Christmassy. I hope you all have a wonderful merry Christmas and are all healthy by then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever inhumanity causes my heart to shatter and despair, I always remember this quote that I have known my whole life. I have no idea where I heard it first, but it soothes: "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." There are many many many magnificent people in this world xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely words and lovely photos of the simple days of crafting in your home. Hope your little ones are better and that these last few days before Christmas are calm and relaxing for you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those oranges are beautiful, as are your words, simply beautiful. Happy weekend lovely. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steph, these are beautiful. As is the sentiment of parenting being messy, heartbreaking and beautiful. Just so beautiful.
    xx ashley

    ReplyDelete
  6. The scent from your citrus offerings must be amazing! Hope the tummies settle soon.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely sweet makings my dear friend. the last few weeks have really tested my emotional fortitude. I can't seem to watch or hear anything about the horrid tragedy without tearing up...so very fragile is a mothers understanding of loss of such young children. Hope you are all feeling ok. Ms M asks about her friends from queensland so often, I know too she keeps the memories close to her heart! much love and merry christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear that you and your little ones have been feeling unwell, I hope that you get better soon. This looks like a beautiful craft, so natural and I can imagine the lovely citrus smell as you were cooking and making. I remember making a decoration with orange and cloves and making patterns in the skin of the fruit, it was some time ago but I remember enjoying it. Take care lovely and a very merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The most beautiful words. The impact of the horrible tragedy is lingering around here too, can't process it and can't bear to talk about it. I adore your images. They capture moments, and tell a story at the same time xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice idea...that will be nice for the long winter days

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank-you so much for joining me on my adventure. x