19 Dec 2012

ice boats









Temperatures are soaring here and while our neighbours across the seas are singing Christmas carols flecked with snowy lyrics and hoping that their Winter wonderland may indeed become a reality, we are doing our utmost to keep cool.

Homemade coconut milk and mango ice blocks, constant sips of lemony water, tepid midday baths for poppets and Mummas alike, babes in squishy cloth nappies and not much more. Keeping our Christmas tree topped up in a bid to keep it's jade needles from turning musty brown before the man with the beard pops by, frequent sponge downs with wrung out washers steeped in cool water with a few drops of lavender, cornstarch powder under wee little people's necks to ward off heat rash. And ice boats.

With humidity veiling our clammy bodies and cicadas singing their shrill Summer call we revelled in the sharp coolness that only icy water can bring. Bodies were cooled...time was slowed.

Is it hot in your little slice of this lovely planet? What are you doing to keep cool? Or perhaps it's snowing....I'd love to hear!

Steph x

Small blobs of plasticine were stuck to the bottom of some takeaway containers. A paddle pop stick mast was added. Food colouring was mixed with water in all colours of the rainbow and poured into the containers. A very slow and careful trip to the freezer and a few hours later our boats; adorned with sails,  were floated. 

16 comments:

  1. I am sitting here in jeans and a hoodie.
    My girls are at the pool with their Dad.
    They must be freeeeeeezing.
    It feels strange to be cold in the middle of December but then again, it's perfect writing weather so I am grateful.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved iceboats as a kid- I've never thought of that (and I was under the impression we were pretty inventive kids!). Hot and windy with a bit of rain in Melbourne. Completely ridiculous as weather goes- that's Melbourne for you!

    I'm counting down the days/hours until 5pm Friday when I'm free for two weeks!

    Best wishes for a fabulous festive season little brown wren and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful activity. I'm going to have to add this one onto the 'to do' holiday list with the kids. That is infact if we have more then one hot day at a time. We are sitting here waiting for the storm to cool us down and if comes with the change that Melbourne and Daylesford have just had, then by tomorrow I will have my jeans back on as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of water play here, too. Ice boats are a great idea! I'll have to try it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ice block boats! how magical steph! it's not hot enough for long enough here at the moment...although we got out the water balloons the other day after school for a cool down (and fun!). hoping that some of the snowy breeze can come your way and cool you all down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great idea. I'm stealing!! (If you don't mind, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is as hot as hot here! We are trying to keep our cool under the fans drinking copious amounts of ice slushies and trying to visit air conditioned places to do our Christmas shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great idea for a hot day! my kids would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love her concentration! And we're in the land of freezing rain. Must say I wouldn't mind some of your sun rays if you're giving them away...

    ReplyDelete
  10. FAntastic idea, looks like such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just stumbled upon your blog and wow. Firstly your blog design is spectacular and your photographs are beautiful. Newest follower, cant wait to see more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very lovely! Thanks so much Jessica!! Wishing you beautiful days :) x

      Delete
  12. gah, it is SO hot right now. i've closed all of the blinds in the apartment, and have the air con blasting. thank you pregnancy. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a crafty mamma, Steph :) we are eating Paddle Pops to cool us down today. And spraying each other with the hose

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so clever! My girl would love this x

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are such a great idea Steph my girls would love doing this to. It's been so hot lately crossing fingers that the clouds today bring some needed rain. xx

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank-you so much for joining me on my adventure. x