29 Apr 2014

clothes sachets


From my kitchen window I've been watching a new house being built.  In a matter of a few days a rectangle of dirt in a suburban street has been transformed into a collection of concrete, timber frames and plasterboard. A sizable dwelling, someone's new home.  I envisage a plethora of light fitting catalogues and great debates over the merits of Hog's Bristle versus Clotted Cream and I hear, "White is white!" and see rolled eyes and huffy walking.

But after all the plaster dust has settled and removalists have trundled away what will make this house a home? Once the gloss of newness has faded a little it will be the small things brought to the space by those who reside there. The small squiggle of red crayon on those Hog's Bristle walls, the worn dining table bearing marks of afternoon craft sessions, too hot pots and time.  Little wisps of the natural world plucked with abandon on fossicking adventures and sprinkled about the place; they'll re-invigorate gentle memories on days when it all seems a bit too much.  Abandoned shoes and socks that whisper of school monkey bar triumphs and pasta sauce splattered cookbooks and mismatched cutlery.


All the little things that have been touched by familiar hands. The laughter, the scraped knees, the bits and bobs that resonate with play, connectedness and love. The handmade, the hand me downs, the created. A quiet and unique space that can't be bought or styled. A space filled with heart.

Steph x

We made some clothing sachets using two small squares of muslin filled with some dried lavender from the garden, dried cinnamon bark, dried mint, dried thyme, dried rosemary and cloves. Tied up with twine and popped in amongst the smalls and hung from the clothes rails these little hand made lovelies will ward off the pesky moths and mould and remind us of a quiet afternoon creating together. 

10 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike :) I'm making lavender sachets right at this moment and some simple scented heat packs for Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're making some over here too! Some as Mother's Day treats and some for our stagnant winter cupboards xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Steph, just gorgeous - I'm off to find some muslin and dried goodies - a perfect gift for Mother's Day. Flick x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful idea for Mother's Day gifts! Did u just choose random herbs or specific ones that are known to be good for getting rid of moths, mould etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've never made clothes sachets before, i like this idea x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is something I've been meaning to do. Thanks for the reminder. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine would be squiggles of red crayon on Clotted Cream walls ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could read your words all day long.. so dreamy! The little sachets are a wonderful idea x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love clothing sachets. My mother used to do this, and place them with my little sisters clothes.
    I have a dream of doing the same thing, if I get another child.

    For now I'm just doing my own lavender ruotine. Adding a few drops of lavender oil in hot water, and let the smell fill the room.
    I love love love lavender.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooooooh, I love your clothing sachets. I have not tried them with muslin. Your photos are beautiful. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank-you so much for joining me on my adventure. x