18 Dec 2012

reverse garbage










Tucked away in a little slice of industrialism is an Aladdin's cave. Row upon row of discarded and seemingly unwanted bits of this and that waiting in transit for fertile minds to narrow in on them. With synapses firing and tactile driven fingertips reaching and clasping these cast offs are snaffled up for their latest crafting adventure.

From one visit to the next you can never quite tell what treasures will be waiting in cardboard bin or wire crate. The fossickers that make up the Reverse Garbage crew collect all manner of high quality industrial cast offs and sell them to the public mostly for small change. A visionary promotion of sustainability that whisks great loads of potential land fill from manufacturers and places it with a good dash of quirk into eager and creative hands.

For the cost of a morning tea out we loaded bags with leather offcuts, corks, fluoro stickers, coffee sacks and papers and had a thoroughly entertaining potter through a fascinating and funny world. A box load of plaster denture moulds anyone? The poppets frolicked amongst fabric and store mannequins and my eyes looked upon each unusual find with discern whilst my brain to-ed and fro-ed; conjuring up artistic play for myself and my babies.

These gold mines can be found in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney. Enjoy!

Steph x

13 comments:

  1. fantastic. i think it is a brilliant idea. my kids would love this. perhaps when we are in sydney next a visit will be had. thanks for the link steph. sounds like you all had lots of fun. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reverse garbage is such a great place to visit, so many bits and bobs to collect for little and big people craft. It has been many years since I've been there, the last time was when Miss 8 was in a baby bjorn pouch and it was down at West End. Have a wonderful time crafting away I bet your and your little ones will have lots of fun creating. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That place looks fantastic, what a very clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HAD NO IDEA THEY WERE IN BRISBANE! Oh man, you just made my day. Thank you! A mannequin needs to come and live at my home with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't been there for a long time - it still looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such an awesome idea and I love the name :-) Here in NZ we'll have to make do without - I'm planning on making some tin can lanterns with my 13 year old sister when I'm home next week though. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I first heard about the Reverse Garbage stores a few years ago when teaching, and I was in utter awe at the endless offerings! So many possibilities! Perhaps one in Tassie, one day... x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've nominated you for a Liebster Award! http://alittlebitcountrynz.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-liebster-award.html xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is on our todo list over the holidays. Planning on collecting things for the school and kinder. It looks like they had some great things while you were there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the one in Sydney but had no idea it was in Brisbane as well. Yay! Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love our reverse garbage. so much fun. i still remember when our mum went to the city when we were children and brought back with her a haul from the reverse garbage folk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what a great little secret! I can only imagine the delight in the eyes of little B x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! how marvelous! thanks for the tip!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank-you so much for joining me on my adventure. x