3 Dec 2012

blooms







 
Crafting with children needn't be scary. Nor should it require pigment of every hue, a multitude of brushes and an array of papers. Our babies'  innate nature to create makes them little bower birds. Their keen artistic eyes are ever flitting from this to that, collecting random snips of paper, wool and ephemera. In the garden they observe, they kneel, they pluck. Mere trifles to our eyes and often deemed not grand enough for creating.  
 
Yet we have all seen the ways they transform the humblest of items into tools for play and artwork so proudly displayed. A common paper bag with some swirls of jade crayon, willy-nilly snippets from an old catalogue and sticky tape transforms into a creature from the deep, an egg carton into a cruise ship and strips of tossed aside fabric into crowns, capes and cubbies.

Blooms that have long lost their vibrancy still hold beauty. Their petals still smooth; velvety soft and pliable. Deft fingers and an equally agile mind rip and sprinkle, crush and caress. Questions flow like rain.

Brown paper and glue the only tools. Art at its simplest and arguably....most beautiful.

Steph x

We like to use a mix of PVA glue (white woodworking/craft glue)  and Clag (children's school glue) . A good dollop of each in a little paint pot (little yoghurt tubs are perfect) seems to glue most anything. It also stores well in the fridge if covered perhaps needing just a whisker of water to loosen it.

19 comments:

  1. So true. Children don't need all the bells and whistles in the craft shops. One of my son's favourite pieces is a self-portrait using bits of bark and leaves and shrivelled flowers for knees! It still hangs on his door almost a year later. Magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I bet he will show his babies one day! Gorgeous x

      Delete
  2. I love this idea, and my children love flowers. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love doing craft like this. Unfortunately my youngest tends to sit there and eat EVERYTHING in front of him. Mud pies are fun too - you can then decorate them with flowers and sticks - yum! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh mud pies are the best! Bijou has named it "sloppy gooey mud" and whenever I hear her mention that to her wee bestie (little brother) I know I'd best be prepared to run a bath. :) x

      Delete
  4. So true Steph, and I agree with Elaina the mud decorating is a big hit at my place too. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  5. imagination is just the key steph! And being such a inspirational and nature loving mother no wonder your children thrive on the simplest of activities. Your blooms are delightful as are their creativity. much love and a week full of happy days to you all xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am ever inspired whenever I visit your space Steph and agree wholeheartedly...simple is always best. I have found over the years that our children are more drawn to crafting with things we have gathered and collected during our day and I really do love seeing their little imaginations come to life in their art work.
    Hope you have had a magical start to the week.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true Steph - simple tools and imaginations are the key to some true artworks. Thanks for the glue tip too! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your words are so true, such a great reminder. Beautiful photos as always, I don't know if it's possible to leave this place without feeling inspired! Hope your weekend was wonderful and rejuvenating! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are an angel! Thanks for your sweet words lovely girl. Hope your day is brilliant :) x

      Delete
  9. These colors are beautiful. We like making messes with the simple things here too :)

    xox Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such wise words and so true. My girls like to press flower petals then stick them onto paper to make new flowers and pictures.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  11. i think kate summed this up beautifully. you have such a lovely space here steph. always a pleasure to read. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you lovely girl! I adore visiting your space too :) x

      Delete
  12. gorgeous photos & what a lovely idea

    ReplyDelete
  13. You certainly write the truth! I admit I'm a little type A and scared of my little one making a mess. I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone and encourage him to get a little dirty! It's so good for the soul, and so nice to see his imagination grow so big.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have summed it up perfectly! My children are definitely little bowerbirds; my son often retrieving cereal boxes and toilet rolls from the recycling to sticky tape together into a pirate sword, or a robot of some sort. Love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. So true, there is always a lot of creating and collecting going on at our house! xo

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank-you so much for joining me on my adventure. x